Jones County Health Department continues to evaluate the programs and services we are able to offer. Although we have not added back all the services and programs we had prior to 2013, we are proud to say that we offer the following services:
- Child Health Well-Child Visits (sports physicals when a provider is available – please call ahead)
- Child Health Sick-Child Visits (when a provider is available – please call ahead)
- Immunization services for adults and children
- Communicable Disease Surveillance and Investigation in collaboration with the Division of Public Health
- Sexually Transmitted Infections and Disease Services (when a provider is available)
- HIV Testing Services
- Tuberculosis testing and control program (TB) services
- Family Planning Services (Physicals and Long Acting Reversible Contraceptive placements when a provider is available)
- Environmental Health Services
- Women Infants and Children (WIC) Program Services
- Breast and Cervical Cancer Control Program (BCCCP) Services
- WISEWOMAN Program (WW) Service
- Care Management for At Risk Children (CMARC)
- Care Management for High Risk Pregnancies (CMHRP)
Our Medical Director is Dr. Ricky Watson, MD, MSPH from East Carolina University (ECU) Family Medicine. Dr. Watson completed his residency in Family Medicine at ECU/Pitt County Memorial Hospital, Greenville, NC in 1993. He received his doctorate in 1990 from ECU. He also has a Master of Science degree in Public Health from UNC-Chapel Hill and received his undergraduate degree from Davidson College. With a board certification in Family Medicine, Dr. Watson also has interests in Women’s Health, Infectious Disease, travel and wilderness medicine, and healthcare delivery systems.
Dr. Watson is joined by our newest provider, Leslie Chitwood, MSN, RN, FNP-BC. Ms. Chitwood, a resident of Maysville, NC, received her Master of Science in Nursing – Family Nurse Practitioner – from East Carolina University in July of 2015. Ms. Chitwood joined the Health Department in June of 2018, and is available to see clients Tuesday through Friday. Please call for an appointment or prior to walking in to ensure that she will be available to see you.
The following is a list of local healthcare providers who provide primary medical services for adults and their contact information. If you are a former patient and choose to contact the healthcare providers directly, Health Department staff will assist in the transfer of medical records to the new provider.
Primary Care Services:
Goshen Medical Center – New Bern, NC 4114 Dr. M. L. King Jr. Blvd, New Bern, NC 28562 252-772-9995
Craven County Community Health Center 2818 Neuse Blvd, New Bern, NC 28562 252-636-4920 (press 1 for appointments)
The Jones County Health Department will continue to review its programs and strive to offer the best public health services to the citizens of Jones County. If you have any questions or would like to provide feedback, please call 252-448-9111, ext. 3000, to speak with the Health Director.
Jones County Health Department is a provider (in-network) with Blue Cross Blue Shield of NC (Immunizations only), Medicaid, Medicare (Immunizations only) and Tricare. We accept Cash, Check, and VISA/MasterCard/Discover Card payments. For uninsured patients, charges will be based on a sliding fee scale which accounts for annual gross family income and size of household. For questions regarding service fees, please call 252-448-9111, ext. 3008.